In The News
Latest Happenings at the Montana Learning Center
Meet The Board
| May 2020 |
Montana Learning Center is moving forward with
summer camps for 2020!
Dear Parent and/or Guardian,
We are pleased to share the news that we are moving forward with offering our learning camps for kids this summer! As of now, we have spaces available in almost each of our camps. Registration has closed on only a few of our camps, and our website is being updated as camps fill.
We have been receiving a lot of questions regarding the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our summer camps. We would like to address several of those questions here:
- We are working to develop policies and procedures to minimize, to the best of our ability, the risk of a child, family member, camp instructor, or other individual coming to our facility becoming infected with the coronavirus while with us. We are consulting with the Governor’s Office and the Lewis & Clark County Health Department regularly in developing these policies and procedures, and also will incorporate into them the latest guidance from the CDC.
- While we will do our very best to keep your child safe, we cannot guarantee that your child, yourself, or a family member will not get sick. For your child to attend camp, you will need to sign a document acknowledging the possibility of coronavirus infection, accepting that risk, and releasing the MLC from all liability related to COVID-19.
- If your child has symptoms of COVID-19 while at home, please contact us as soon as possible to cancel his or her reservation. If your child arrives to attend camp while clearly ill, he or she will not be permitted to remain at our facility and you will be asked to take your child home immediately.
- If your child becomes ill while at camp, your child will be quarantined, and you will be contacted and asked to come pick up your child right away.
- We will be doing daily screening of not only campers, but also of staff and anyone else arriving at our facility.
- We require that your child bring to camp at least two cloth face masks that cover his or her nose and mouth, and that he or she wear a mask when needed. We will assist your child in washing the masks as needed and we plan to have a small supply of replacement masks available should something happen to the masks your child brings to camp.
- We are also adding hand sanitizer to the packing list for camp. We will be teaching all campers proper techniques for washing their hands and using hand sanitizer.
- We will be keeping each group of campers separated while at camp.
- We are upping our game with regard to cleaning. High-contact surfaces will be cleaned on a regular basis throughout the day. This includes, but is not limited to, surfaces in the dorms, classrooms and cafeteria.
- Campers will be expected to help with the cleaning. We are all in this together and we all need to do our very best to keep everyone safe.
- The cafeteria will be used to serve food only. Campers will eat either outside or in the classroom in which their camp is based.
- If we need to cancel a camp for any reason, we will offer a refund of your deposit.
- If you decide not to send your child to camp, your deposit will not be refunded, in accordance with our long-standing policy regarding refunds. Any amount you have paid in excess of the nonrefundable deposit, we will refund to you. However, we ask that you please consider waiving your right to that refund and making it a donation to our camper scholarship fund instead. We are receiving more camper scholarship requests now than ever before and could really use the financial help. We try our best to ensure that all children who want to come to camp at the MLC can do so, regardless of their ability to pay.
We are adopting these new policies and procedures to protect not only your child, but also other campers, our staff, individuals who come to our facility for any other reason, and the larger community that we serve. We are a science-based camp!
We are so thankful for you and the community that we serve! The support you have shown us has been tremendous. We are doing what we can to continue to offer high-quality learning experiences this year and for many years to come. Please consider making a donation to the MLC today.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out. We are here to serve you and your child in the best way we can!
More to come…
The Montana Learning Center
at Canyon Ferry Lake